why ; ?

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 12:08:32 PDT 2008

"Janice Caron" <caron800 at googlemail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.547.1210179260.2351.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On 07/05/2008, Leandro Lucarella <llucax at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Even so, making them *optional* it's maybe possible.
>> <snip>
>> Everybody should be happy, except from Walter, who has to touch the
>> parser =)
>
> Absolutely not. I deeply, deeply want semicolons to remain compulsory.
>
> Lose that, and you lose redundancy.
> Lose redundancy and you lose meaningful error messages.

It always seems funny that your opinions are exactly the same as Walter's.
I mean, I think that's almost word-for-word what he said.

As I explained about my experience making semicolons optional in MiniD, I
haven't run into any situations where skipping semicolons has been a
problem.  The compiler still gives fine error messages.  They're
unneccessary in virtually every case.  In the (one!) case where there's an
ambiguity (though there might be a couple more in D), the compiler doesn't
silently choose one, unintuitively; it gives a reasonable error.

I'd be interested to know your views on the issue if Walter was ambivalent
on the issue or if he was for it.