why ; ?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed May 7 13:35:46 PDT 2008

Walter Bright:
> Those things are fine for scripting language programs that are fairly
> short (like under a screenful). It gets increasingly bad as the size of
> the program increases.

You may look at Zope (written in Python), that codebase is a bit more than a screenful long; so evidence shows you may be wrong.

You may also take a look at Scala code, that is a java-like language (plus functional ideas) with optional semicolons. It seems a good enough language to use.
Note that the "auto" of D too removes redundancy, and once it has caused me a little bug, quickly fixed, I think "auto" is very useful still.

> How should:
>    f()
>     *g()
> parse?

Like this:
f();
*g();

That's a call to f() followed by what it seems an error.

Bye,
bearophile