why ; ?

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Wed May 7 23:12:21 PDT 2008

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Just because a large program *has* been written in such a language doesn't
> mean it's a good idea in general. I could write a large mission-critical
> program in Perl

I know of at least one large (non-web) system written in Perl that was
servicing over 2 million users before being switched. Perl with "use
strict" and some good coding standards can be just as clean as any other
language. It's gotten a bad reputation because of its shell scripting
roots and use by web designers with limited programming experience.

IMHO, Perl is a _lot_ easier to (write, read, maintain) than PHP. When I
was writing PHP for a resarch project, I found myself literally spending
hours tracing down bugs caused by typos in variable names, but a simple
"use strict;" in Perl fixes that completely.