why ; ?

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 15:13:41 PDT 2008

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I think it's been a very interesting discussion.
>
> Yes, there is a lot that comes down to preference in the end, and yes, we
> have come up with some such things in this thread. But we can't just go
> around assuming that all opposing viewpoints are always equally valid,
> because a lot of times they just simply aren't.  Sometimes a clear "best
> practice" does emerge. Not by unanimous vote though, but by merit of the
> argument itself. For instance, everyone could agree 2+2=5, but that doesn't
> make it so, and by the same token, one rouge diehard "2+2=5" person doesn't
> turn "2+2=4" from a fact into an opinion or a preference.
>
> And on the things that do turn out to be matters of preference, it's still
> interesting (my opinion) and potentially helpful/productive (which I submit
> as fact, but open for debate, of course) to see the pros and cons of each
> actually laid out for all to see.

Where in my post did you read that I said "[we should] go around
assuming that all opposing viewpoints are always equally valid"? I know
what I wrote and that ain't it.

I said that this specific argument which I'm replying to is about
personal preferences/style only and is not a technical discussion
related to D and have stated my opinion that arguing about
_this_specific_subject_ is ridiculous. In the same way you could argue
that you prefer you code to be shown with red color and someone else
would argue that green is better. Colors do have pros and cons regarding
eye-sight but they don't make your red if statement any better than
Janice's green one from a code POV. Both will compile to the same
assembly code. therefore, unless you discuss the pros and cons of colors
to a programmer's sight, arguing whether red code is better than green
code is indeed ridiculous.

If you decide to discuss next which editor is better: vi[m] or emacs
(since as you say, this is "potentially helpful/productive" in your
opinion) than count me out since yet again this comes down to personal
preference.

--Yigal

PS: it's amazing how such smart people can waste so much time and energy
debating such unimportant issues as the semicolon at the end of
statements with such a passion.