Array Capacity Field

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at update.uu.se
Fri May 9 01:29:12 PDT 2008

> This is somewhat of a different issue.  The Phobos GC never returns any
> memory to the OS.

This is my absolute favourite pet peeve with Perl, it has the same
behaviour.

I'm working on a fairly large program which is used on a cluster system
with several instances going at the same time. It is initially uses
quite a bit of memory (a few hundred megabytes) but then releases a
large part of it and lingers in this state for quite some time (waiting
for other processes), but from the systems point of view it never
decreases in size.

I realize that the GC is trying to be nice to me and speed up new
allocs, but I would like to force it to release memory to the system. Is
this possible in Phobos or Tango, it really should be?

Pontus.