Hello D World

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri May 9 14:50:01 PDT 2008

"Dee Girl" <deegirl at noreply.com> wrote in message
news:g02fb3$dj8$1 at digitalmars.com...
> BCS Wrote:
>
>> Dee Girl wrote:
>> > I read the online documentation of D and decided to give it a try. I'll
>> > need to choose one of D1 with Phobos, D1 with Tango, or D2 with Phobos.
>> >
>> > The minimalist in me wants Phobos, the app writer wants Tango, and the
>> > programming language lover wants D2. Any advice on what combination I
>> > should choose? I want to first write a few programs for my own use.
>> > Thank you, Dee Girl
>>
>> I use Phobos+1.0 because 2.0 is so chaotic regarding const and because I
>> got started before there as a tango.
>>
>> Someone has a D snapshot that has DMD, Tango and some other usefully
>> stuff. So My reasons for Phobos are Darn weak for anyone new starting in.
>
> Thank you for the fast response. Maybe learning D1 before D2 can be
> compared to C before C++. If that is true then it is best to start with
> D2. If each new release of D2 does not break many programs in subtle ways
> maybe I will be fine with D2. But is Phobos sufficient? Thank you, Dee
> Girl

IMO:

Phobos should only be considered a fallback for when Tango isn't available.
Phobos is the "official" standard, but Tango is the "de facto" standard.
Kinda weird, but, ehh, one of the quirks of D.

So I'd say either "D1+Tango" or "D2+Phobos", which the edge going to
"D1+Tango" just because Tango and Phobos are totally different, but D2 is
(more or less) a superset of D1 (there are some small changes, but I'd say
*mostly* it's the same thing with new features. New features that are not
yet set in stone and could change before D2 eventually gets finalized.) Ie,
IMO, down-the-road when Tango supports D2, transitioning from D1 to D2
should be easier than keeping up with the D2 changes *and then*
transitioning from Phobos to Tango.