Hello D World

torhu no at spam.invalid
Fri May 9 19:08:10 PDT 2008

Dee Girl wrote:
> I read the online documentation of D and decided to give it a try. I'll need to choose one of D1 with Phobos, D1 with Tango, or D2 with Phobos.
>
> The minimalist in me wants Phobos, the app writer wants Tango, and the programming language lover wants D2. Any advice on what combination I should choose? I want to first write a few programs for my own use. Thank you, Dee Girl

Hello, Dee Girl :)

I'd probably go with Phobos while you're learning the language, I found
it easier to get the hang of than Tango.  While Tango is more flexible
and powerful, once you get to know it.

Chosing between D1/D2 and tango/phobos often comes down to which
libraries you need for your app.  Like if you want to use the new DWT,
Tango and D1 is your only option.    Some third-party libraries can be
used with both tango and phobos, some support just one.  And I think
most libraries only support D1, so D2 is more for just playing around
with at the moment.

I recommend codepad.org, it's a great way of trying out stuff.  It's a
pastebin that will actually compile and run your code, displaying the
output.  Both tango and phobos (through the tangobos library) work there.