Error Message useless

Fawzi Mohamed fmohamed at mac.com
Sat May 10 07:57:20 PDT 2008

On 2008-05-10 06:34:47 +0200, Tower  Ty <towerty at msn.com.au> said:

> Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:
>
>> "Tower Ty" <tytower at hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
>> news:g02qih$16tn$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> tango.core.Exception.IllegalArgumentException: Argument not valid
>>>
>>> This message from the compiler is just bloody useless
>>> Where do you go in a 200 line program?
>>>
>>> All I can see is go to each line that might be a cause and comment it out
>>> ,try to compile it again and if no good do the next one .
>>>
>>> Some lines just can't be done anyway .
>>>
>>> How hard could it be for you experts to add some detail to the error huh
>>> ??
>>
>> Is this a *compiler* error?  Are you *sure*?
>>
>> Do you get the error when you compile the program or when you run it?
>>

> No of course it is a run time error and I'm still looking for it ,
> Jarrett sorry

I recently had to look for a similar error.
I think the easiest thing is to compile everything with -g and use a debugger.

Then put a breackpoint when the exception is created (or in the handler
to create the stack trace: traceContext in tango):
	genobj.d:916 (gdc)
	genobj.d:910 (dmd)

please not that there is an open bug wrt. this with out of bounds
exceptions on macintosh and Linux with gdc the stack can get garbled
	http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/ticket/1094

Fawzi