std.bitarray examples

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sat May 10 11:39:19 PDT 2008

On 10/05/2008, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:
> > That is an entirely separate subject. There is a proposal on the table
>  > suggested by Steven Schveighoffer and myself which addresses that very
>  > problem, and our proposal sounds similar to your romaybe. However,
>  > that is not relevant for std.string.
>
> It's relevant in that the implementation of std.string could benefit from
>  the proposal, were it implemented.

Not so. The invariant versions will use copy-on-write. That is a huge,
huge, plus for invariant strings, and no one wants to lose it. At the
other end of the spectrum, mutable char arrays offer the possibility
of modify-in-place, which invariant clearly cannot do. There is no way
that Steven's/my inout proposal would be sufficient to achieve all
that is needed for std.string.