Hello D World

Fawzi Mohamed fmohamed at mac.com
Sat May 10 12:18:58 PDT 2008

On 2008-05-10 10:08:10 +0200, Robert Fraser <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> said:

> torhu wrote:
>> Dee Girl wrote:
>>> I read the online documentation of D and decided to give it a try. I'll
>>> need to choose one of D1 with Phobos, D1 with Tango, or D2 with Phobos.
>>> The minimalist in me wants Phobos, the app writer wants Tango, and the
>>> programming language lover wants D2. Any advice on what combination I
>>> should choose? I want to first write a few programs for my own use.
>>> Thank you, Dee Girl
>>
>> Hello, Dee Girl :)
>>
>> I'd probably go with Phobos while you're learning the language, I found
>> it easier to get the hang of than Tango.  While Tango is more flexible
>> and powerful, once you get to know it.
>>
>> Chosing between D1/D2 and tango/phobos often comes down to which
>> libraries you need for your app.  Like if you want to use the new DWT,
>> Tango and D1 is your only option.    Some third-party libraries can be
>> used with both tango and phobos, some support just one.  And I think
>> most libraries only support D1, so D2 is more for just playing around
>> with at the moment.
>>
>> I recommend codepad.org, it's a great way of trying out stuff.  It's a
>> pastebin that will actually compile and run your code, displaying the
>> output.  Both tango and phobos (through the tangobos library) work there.
>
> Most Phobos libraries run under Tangobos just fine. Actually, I've only
> tried it with DMDScript, which _didn't_, but supposedly they do ;-P.

torhu, care to file a ticket?
that way it might get fixed.
Looking at the other tickets I know that it might seem that people do
not look much at it (I think tangobos was not really much maintained,
but just whoever needed it fixed what it needed), but I recently merged
gdc phobos into it, and if feasible I will try to fix it.

thanks
Fawzi