Safer casts

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sun May 11 04:53:33 PDT 2008

On 11/05/2008, Yigal Chripun <yigal100 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  also, what if a doesn't actually have a "member" member? this is still
>  syntactically valid D code, but again I think the error would be
>  reported elsewhere.

On that point, I concede. The reporting of template errors could
certainly be improved. More than once I have wanted to see the "stack
trace" of errors, working back from the innermost, to the line of code
that ultimately triggered it.

However, that it not an argument against templates, it is an argument
for improved error reporting. And hopefully, one day we'll get that.

This is not the first time that you've argued that some feature or
strategy is bad because today's D compiler isn't good enough, but you
need to remember that tomorrow's D compiler will be better. That's
life on the cutting edge.