Dynamic arrays in D 1.0

Edward Diener eddielee_no_spam_here at tropicsoft.com
Sun May 11 12:08:31 PDT 2008

In D 1.0 dynamic arrays are the equivalent of C++'s std::vector<T>, with
slicing replacing iterators in order to access some subrange of the
sequence. In C++ there is functionality in std::vector::erase for
erasing elements from the vector and std::vector::insert for inserting
new elements into the vector. Where is that functionality in D's dynamic
arrays ?

Furthermore in D 1.0 a char[], a dynamic array of characters, is the
equivalent of the C++ std::string. In the C++ std::string class there is
a rich set of functionality for manipulating the char elements in the
string, for finding particular elements in the string, and for comparing
the character elements in strings with other strings, but I see little
of this in dynamic array functionality. What am I missing ?

I am guessing this must be provided in D libraries of functions ( Phobos
? Tango ? ) templated on the dynamic array type. But, if so, this seems
a poor way of providing dynamic array functionality as compared to
built-in dynamic array functionality in order to provide the sort of
functionality mentioned above, especially as D's dynamic arrays are part
of the D language as opposed to a separate library like C++'s
std::vector<T> and std::string.