Error Message useless

Mike vertex at gmx.at
Sun May 11 14:54:23 PDT 2008

On Sat, 10 May 2008 11:03:38 +0200, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> You've just made me feel incredibly stupid. That particular "Why in the
> world did that never occur to me?" kind of stupid. My forehead still
> hurts
> from the smack. ;)

:)

> I find that turning a single-statement if into a {} block when needed is
> trivial enough of a change (almost second-nature) to justify keeping
> single-statement if's in a nice compact {}-less form (unless the clause
> or
> single-statement is long enough to be broken into multiple lines for
> readability). But I'm really compulsive when it comes to code formatting
> anyway (everything's gotta be "just so" or I can't focus, kinda like
> that TV
> detective Monk, albiet far less severe ;) ).

Yeah, I hate it when Eclipse starts to put my case statements on the wrong
indentation level. That supports the theory that programmers often tend to
have a little trace of authism in their personality. Sometimes small
details can drive me mad and I spend lots of time formatting console
output so that it lines up neatly or stuff like that.

Another thing about Stdout debugging: it's nice to define an alias for
Stdout in a debug { } block and use that alias for debug messages,
preferably in a module that's used everywhere in a project. I do that
since once, back in my C++ days, one of my "in here" couts went into
production - the alias prevents that.

-Mike