Executable size

Neal Alexander WQEQWEUQY at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun May 11 22:28:52 PDT 2008

terranium wrote:
> Neal Alexander Wrote:
>
>> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> Once D is natively using DLL/.so to store the runtime, executable sizes
>>> should go way down.
>>>
>>> -Steve
>>>

>> In any case, D's runtime bloat is pretty much on par with OCaml and
>> Haskell/GHC(SplitObjs).
>
> I don't believe D runtime can make any bloat, even whole Phobos is 1MB - how it can become 14MB?

Its not Phobos. "Hello world" in D, OCaml, and haskell/ghc are all
around 300kb (+-100k)

DWT or GTK can easily add 10mb to a distro. There may be D bindings for
lightweight GUI toolkits like FLTK (http://www.fltk.org/) or something -
   i dunno, i never bothered checking. Even if theres no bindings, you
can always use some WYSIWYG tool to generate a C skeleton to plug your D
code into.

And on a side note: last time i native compiled a quick graph
visualization GUI in java the dependencies were like 50mb heh.