Proposal: Package aliases

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:43:33 PDT 2008

Ary Borenszweig, el 15 de mayo a las 11:07 me escribiste:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
> >I think it would be convenient if packages could be aliased.
>
> I'm really amazed that this is a problem. For example in Java, I almost never need to
> worry about the name of a package or if the package name is long, or how many characters
> I'll have to write in the import. Why? Simply because I use an IDE that does that for me.

IDEs help to to write code, not read it. Code is readed much more times
than it's written, so having a clean reable code is a good thing =)

And BTW, some people don't like IDEs. Things should be easy to do without
using an IDE. The problem is the other way arround: in Java you *need* an
IDE because all is so redundant.

It's like getters/setters, you can say: in Java I never need to write my
getters and setters because the IDE do it for me. In D you don't have to
write them either, and for that, you don't have to rely on an IDE and you
have shorter, cleaner code which is easier to read and maintain.