What you use D for?

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow at gmail.com
Fri May 16 11:46:11 PDT 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:21:39 +0300, Arne <user at domain.invalid> wrote:

> Are there comercial companys that use D? Are there persons that sit 8 hours a day programming D to make theire living?

There are (I freelance and program in D whenever I can), but probably less than you expect.

If you intend to make profit as soon as you release the product, IMHO right now it's early for a commercial product targeted for developers, because not enough "suits" know about D for it to have any kind of corporate usage/support. On the other hand, one of the reasons why this is not happening is the lack of a stable, productive platform/package with available commercial support. D's toolchain is currently more than sufficient, but new developers must acquire and study all the necessary tools to become productive. Currently, I'm not aware of a package that either contains or can download&install a compiler+builder, debugger, IDE, additional libraries/packages, etc. - which is what (IMO) D needs most for quick adoption. Given the speed of D's rising popularity and depending on the development time, your IDE might hit the market at just the right moment.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                          mailto:thecybershadow at gmail.com