What you use D for?

Tower Ty tytower at hotmail.com.au
Sat May 17 04:54:53 PDT 2008

Jesse Phillips Wrote:

> I'm agreeing with Vladimir, right now there is no market for a commercial
> IDE. D is gaining popularity, it is getting lots of good press and some
> bad. Complaints come around that D is missing this market, that it hasn't
> been polished enough to be used by anyone, see any of Ty Towers posts.
> And I'm sure that most everyone here would love to be able to push their
> employers to switch, but without a commercial IDE it is harder.
>
> The point is you aren't likely to be making money with in the next year
> or two. Once you have completed it, you might have to keep it updated to
> the latest language features even if your not rolling in the dough. It
> might be important to consider if your company could eat the cost of
> development, I think there will be a market coming for D, but it could
> take awhile.

Exaggeration  indeed .  I answer the question honestly withwhat  I have seen

I have not seen any evidence of  usage by even 200 people as yet.
I have not seen evidence of any appreciable development work being undertaken at this time except on DWT .
I don't know but I don't think the development team is very big ,possibly only a handful .

D looks like an easily understandable and potentially very useable programming language , simplifying a lot of the confusing superfluous stuff of other languages.

By the same token getting in at the start can put you ahead of the game as Walter added in his post above and  as much as I bitch  I would still recommend a student study it . Valuable pointer to the future. You just have to ignore the possessive protectionists who frequent the forums

Can't see how anyone could make a buck from another IDE for D