What you use D for?

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Sat May 17 05:11:22 PDT 2008

Arne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> thank you for your feedback. Of course we know TIOBE, of course we know
> Descent and the other competition. And it's pretty clear that a single
> person that does not make it's living from programming D couldn't pay
> (much) for an commercial IDE. But thats not the point. The only
> information that we miss is:
>
> Are there comercial companys that use D? Are there persons that sit 8
> hours a day programming D to make theire living?

Yes.

As to whether there are enough of those to make the work worth it for you,
hard to say. I'd say there is a hen-and-chicken situation, and companies
like yours will have to step up to resolve it. A good IDE (and complete
toolchain) will help fulfill the prophecy of the coming of D. Saying "wait
another year" will leave D dead in the water.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net