What you use D for?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Sat May 17 08:40:02 PDT 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008 07:54:53 -0400, Tower  Ty wrote:

> Jesse Phillips Wrote:
>
>> I'm agreeing with Vladimir, right now there is no market for a
>> commercial IDE. D is gaining popularity, it is getting lots of good
>> press and some bad. Complaints come around that D is missing this
>> market, that it hasn't been polished enough to be used by anyone, see
>> any of Ty Towers posts. And I'm sure that most everyone here would love
>> to be able to push their employers to switch, but without a commercial
>> IDE it is harder.
>>
>> The point is you aren't likely to be making money with in the next year
>> or two. Once you have completed it, you might have to keep it updated
>> to the latest language features even if your not rolling in the dough.
>> It might be important to consider if your company could eat the cost of
>> development, I think there will be a market coming for D, but it could
>> take awhile.
>

> Exaggeration  indeed .  I answer the question honestly withwhat  I have
> seen
>
> I have not seen any evidence of  usage by even 200 people as yet. I have
> not seen evidence of any appreciable development work being undertaken
> at this time except on DWT . I don't know but I don't think the
> development team is very big ,possibly only a handful .
>
> D looks like an easily understandable and potentially very useable
> programming language , simplifying a lot of the confusing superfluous
> stuff of other languages.
>
> By the same token getting in at the start can put you ahead of the game
> as Walter added in his post above and  as much as I bitch  I would still
> recommend a student study it . Valuable pointer to the future. You just
> have to ignore the possessive protectionists who frequent the forums
>
> Can't see how anyone could make a buck from another IDE for D

I agree, you did answer based on your observations, but I don't feel that
I misrepresented your complaints either. You were correct in that there
aren't the numbers to justify their time, right now. My post more about
D's potential much like Walter's, though I don't know why my post was so
late as I posted before 8. I wasn't trying to attack you, many share your
views, but they aren't using D.