C++ vs Lisp

janderson askme at me.com
Sat May 17 13:08:15 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
 > An oldie, but some very thought provoking observations on what makes
a language productive:

http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~irenelg/courses/330/CTM/Resources/C++-vs-Lisp.txt

I wonder how D would perform?  It looks like D could be as almost as
streamlined as lisp with its built-in containers.

It seems to me though that size of a program isn't everything.  As you
said before, repetition helps reduce errors.  I think D provides better
mechanisms for abstraction then lisp.  I think that D allows one to work
on much larger problems more effectively then lisp.  I think there in
lies the trade off.

If/when D gains functional programming it will have the best of both worlds.

-Joel