C++ vs Lisp

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Sat May 17 13:26:40 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> An oldie, but some very thought provoking observations on what makes a
> language productive:
>
> http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~irenelg/courses/330/CTM/Resources/C++-vs-Lisp.txt

Concise does not always mean readable, and reducing lines of code should
*never* be a design goal. For example, if I removed many temporary
variables and used long expressions (as is the style in many functional
languages), I could probably chop off 1/5-1/4 of the LOC of my program,
but debugging/fixing it would get much harder. Additionally, redundancy
(as stated in the ";" topic) is not necessarily a bad thing as it helps
reinforce meaning to readers.