C++ vs Lisp

Dee Girl deegirl at noreply.com
Sat May 17 15:48:34 PDT 2008

bearophile Wrote:

> Dee Girl:
> > Thank you for that! It looks interesting.
>
> My pleasure.
>

> >But one problem is you use delegates. They are much slower than alias.
> >I measured 3 - 5 times slower depending on task.
>
> From my benchmarks they behave well enough, you probably talk about unusual tasks. My libs are designed for the (large!) parts of the code where you don't need max running speed. To improve the situation you may need compiler support for list comphrensions, etc and/or macros.

Simplest task was increment a value many times. On my computer is 3 times slow. Then tried simple functions like counting zeros in array of it. It was more 4 times slower. If I like this slow I code python ^_^

If there is different tradeoff to choose then I agree your argument is good. But with alias approach you have both static and dynamic. The support is already, no need for more. Why choose the bad way instead of good way?

> > The documentation is hard. Why you put a zip file on web and inside it has html
> > files? It should be inverse. It would be good to put html pages on the web.
>
> I see, you are right, and I can fix this problem.
>

> > Also there is no link in the html files. It is hard to understand what library is doing.
>
> What do you mean?
> (If you spot bugs please tell me)

It is only that there is no central page. Or I can not find it. No description of all library. No links between one document and other documents. I get bored ^_^ In phobos I can easy jump from algorithm to conv or functional. Thank you, Dee Girl