What you use D for?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Sun May 18 09:59:57 PDT 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008 18:28:27 +0200, Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

> Jesse Phillips wrote:

>>> Exaggeration  indeed .  I answer the question honestly withwhat  I
>>> have seen
>>>
>>> I have not seen any evidence of  usage by even 200 people as yet. I
>>> have not seen evidence of any appreciable development work being
>>> undertaken at this time except on DWT . I don't know but I don't think
>>> the development team is very big ,possibly only a handful .
>>>
>>> D looks like an easily understandable and potentially very useable
>>> programming language , simplifying a lot of the confusing superfluous
>>> stuff of other languages.
>>>
>>> By the same token getting in at the start can put you ahead of the
>>> game as Walter added in his post above and  as much as I bitch  I
>>> would still recommend a student study it . Valuable pointer to the
>>> future. You just have to ignore the possessive protectionists who
>>> frequent the forums
>>>
>>> Can't see how anyone could make a buck from another IDE for D
>>
>> I agree, you did answer based on your observations, but I don't feel
>> that I misrepresented your complaints either. You were correct in that
>> there aren't the numbers to justify their time, right now. My post more
>> about D's potential much like Walter's, though I don't know why my post
>> was so late as I posted before 8. I wasn't trying to attack you, many
>> share your views, but they aren't using D.
>
> Considering that close to a 100 peoples (just names I know, there are
> others without names) contributed to Tango so far, there definately are
> far more D users out there than 200 - and most companies using D for
> commercial development won't tell you in public. So whatever goes on in
> these news group is _not_ accountable for even a small portion of total
> D activity.

Oh, I realize that who is seen is not the number of users, but 200, 300
or 1000 users really isn't that much. The number of users that are
willing to purchase the product is only going to be a fraction of that
number. If you charge $50 for it you might only get 20% to buy it, if you
increase the price the percentage will drop. You need the correct
percentage/user ratio to get your money back.

I'm sure you already know this, and it is good to know that there has
been a good number of contributors to Tango, and I'm sure Arne likes to
hear that.