Eclipse's "Workspaces" (Was: What you use D for?)

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Sun May 18 23:59:45 PDT 2008

Jussi Jumppanen wrote:
> Robert Fraser Wrote:
>
>> as there rarely seems to be any need to have multiple
>> workspaces per user.
>
> MSVC used the term "workspace" to represent what was
> being created and in this context is probably a bad
> choice of word.
>
> In more recent versions of MSVC this wording has been
> improved since the name workspace has been replaced by
> solution and the word project replaced by item.
>
> So for example any solution (ie the complete package
> being built) can be made up on many items (exes, dll's,
> database, help files, image files, installers etc).
>
> In this context there is definitely a need for multiple
> workspaces/solutions per user.

Ah, I see what you mean.

Eclipse is very Java-focused, and a few times I've run into difficulties
with the framework being built mainly around JDT. In Java, there really
isn't much of a need for this, since in Java your targets are basically
just a bunch of class files and you use your run configuration to decide
which one to activate. D, C(++) and other native languages have a lot
more use for manging a solution with many projects (or a project with
many targets, or whatever terminology you want to use). Still, adding
such functionality would be possible for a plugin to do, and maybe
someday Descent will need to have something like that, but it's
certainly a difficult problem to solve, both in design and implementation.