Why we chose not to use D for our Linux project

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon May 19 12:48:55 PDT 2008

Bill Lear:
> We settled on ruby,

Python/Ruby and D are in two quite different classes of languages. Usually where you use one of them you don't want to use the other. So to me it's strange that seeing D unfit, you have used Ruby.

> I think some serious attention needs to be focused on this, rather than the minutiae of the latest cool language feature.

I think D is younger and it's used by quite less people, so you have not even 1/100 of the modules you can find in the Python world (there are some modules available thanks to the easy binding to C libs).
I think D language focuses on language features because it's developing still, because it's looking for its place in the world still. I think that if D succeeds in the parallel programming it may have a chance to become widely used (at the moment C#, Java, Erlang, Haskell and Fortress look like the few languages able to use the future multi core CPUs. Among them something like Haskell looks one of the more promising, despite being a bit too much complex to become an industry standard language).

Bye,
bearophile