documentation and papers about const/invariant

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Tue May 20 03:56:28 PDT 2008

Dee Girl escribió:
> Next part is even worse. How Does C++ Const Stack Up? is the title. Makes me mad! I read about C++ const. Things I knew. Fine. But then when the part ends what do I see? Scroll bar is at 80%. Most article discuss C++! I can not believe this. This is article written with attitude bitter and sad about C++. Does article want to explain D const or bash C++ const? Why fight C++?

I must agree here. Not only about const, but the page always seems to
explain D by comparing it to C by saying "In C you used to do this, but
in D you can do it better like this".

I know D is mostly targeted at people with C++ knowledge. *mostly*. It
would be nice if D was presented as a new, clean language, with complete
explanations and some minor sections comparing it to other languages
(and not always C++). It would say, after some good explanation, "If you
are familiar with C++, this concept maps to...". That way, people that
don't know C++ won't get scared if they see D, or feel the need to learn
C++ before D.

Imagine you enter the Java page and you read "Well... in C++ you have
pointers, in Java you don't. Java only keeps the classes, but with this
syntax. etc." No! Java is a completely new language, with another
perspective in mind. And I think the same about D.

People might also think "Bah, a new effort to write an improved C++".
Instead, they should think "This language is great, I can do a lot of
things, even all of those I could do with C++, and much more easly!".

Same as Dee Girl, no offense intended.