Why we chose not to use D for our Linux project

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 07:55:14 PDT 2008

"Simen Haugen" <simen.haugen at pandavre.com> wrote in message
news:g0tttj$8mt$1 at digitalmars.com...

> "Robert Fraser" <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:g0t0gj$11sh$2 at digitalmars.com...
>> bearophile wrote:
>>> Python/Ruby and D are in two quite different classes of languages.
>>> Usually where you use one of them you don't want to use the other.
>>
>> Not necessarily. D is still useful for quick scripting. More to the
>> point, webapps are often written with Ruby/Python/Perl backends which
>> could be swapped out for one written in a native language to help
>> performance.
>
> I agree with the scripting. I'm still using quite a lot of python, but
> when I'm doing small programs I'm often using D to avoid the bloat of
> py2exe.
> Too sad I haven't gotten PyD to work with larger classes, and it seems it
> won't be updated until D2.

If you're referring to the errors you get from the linker about symbol
length, there's nothing Kirk can do about it.  It's a major shortcoming of
the DMD Windows object format and linker, namely an extremely limited symbol
length.  It works fine with all the other compiler combinations (GDCWin,
DMDLin, GDCLin).