Why we chose not to use D for our Linux project

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Tue May 20 15:12:00 PDT 2008

Sean Reque wrote:

>> Indeed, and DDBI always compiles with the correct combination of compiler
>> and Tango :) The perceived problem here is that DDBI haven't had a stable
>> release for a long time (and that I hope to rectify), and so you may have
>> to be a bit lucky to get it to compile with your setup - to compile trunk
>> now for instance, you need Tango trunk.
>>
>> --
>> Lars Ivar Igesund
>> blog at http://larsivi.net
>> DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
>> Dancing the Tango
>

> Sorry, I didn't mean any personal offense. I've just dealt with one too
> many open source projects that wouldn't even compile, either because of
> lack of good up-to-date documentation or just plain bugs, or both. I
> remember reading a forum post by an open source project owner once where
> the owner admitted that the build for his project had bugs and did not
> work. Not only so,  he openly admitted he hadn't fixed them because he
> didn't find that kind of work interesting, and was instead asking for
> volunteers to do it for him!!!!

No offense taken :) Actually I was proven to even be wrong in my above
statement :P

> I feel like, while it is getting better, that many open source content
> creators focus more on pursuing personal interests than creating something
> useful for other people. I have no problems with people wanting to explore
> personal interests. Just don't try to tease the public and get them to
> believe you have made something worth their time when it isn't! (Again,
> that's not directed to anyone in particular.)

Well, many open source projects _do_ scratch an itch, and they are often
publicized on the off chance that others could be interested in it. If you
indeed are giving it "commercial" properties, then of course one should
expect it to build.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net