Why we chose not to use D for our Linux project

Chris Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Wed May 21 17:45:26 PDT 2008

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Chris,
>
>> UML class diagrams and UML sequence diagrams are not design; they are
>> programming. Programming in a language with no compiler, programming
>> without including your core algorithms, programming without any tests.
>> There's no way in hell you can verify your design will be even
>> remotely close to something that can work.
>>
>> You can safely and usefully design at a higher level before writing
>> any code, but not on the class level.
>>

> I beg to differ. The one and only time I used UML it was very useful. It
> helped me track a number of aspects of the design and brought to light a
> number of deficiencies. I'd say UML is a design "tool" but in the way
> that Word or a pad of paper can be, as an aid to documentation.

You were using UML class diagrams. Were you generating code from UML, or
UML from code?

If you want to use UML to document existing code, that has always
sounded like a good idea to me. You don't have to wade through code and
comments to get an idea of what's going on. But in this case, you MUST
use UML that's autogenerated from your code. Otherwise, your UML
documentation will branch away from your code.