[~ot] why is programming so fun?

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Sat May 31 21:36:28 PDT 2008

Reply to Clay,

> BCS wrote:
>
>> Reply to sclytrack,
>>
>>> It is like playing with lego blocks but you won't be accused of
>>> being a kid.
>>>
>>> Sclytrack
>>>
>> Every one in a while I hear about someone who want to "make
>> programming like putting together Logos" e.i. "just snap them
>> together and your done!"
>>
>> It just occurred to me, 99.9999% of the ways you can snap Logos
>> together are neither useful, nor good looking. The same is true of
>> programming. It' easy to make a system that lets you snap together a
>> program if it don't have to do anything useful.
>>
> I'd consider libraries to be like "lego blocks," and people manage to
> make lots of useful programs with them.

take a random lib, start writing code (don't even check to see what the lib
does) keep slapping in function (auto compleat may help) call random methods,
add some loops and if's. Heck, throw in a goto or three. Then run it, tweak
it till it compiles, then tweak it till it doesn't crash. I'll bet you a
dollar it does nothing useful. If it does, you cheated and tried to make
it do something useful.

Yes libs can make useful programs, but just because you use a lib, doesn't
say your program will be useful without skill and effort.