D 64-bit ?

Xinok xnknet at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 06:09:39 PDT 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:
> Daniel Ribeiro Maciel wrote:
>> Who still use a 32-bit computer these days anyways.
>
> Most people.
Since the topic is here, I'd like to make a suggestion for when to make
a 64-bit compiler.
I think the right time is when D 2.0 is stable and we begin to move away
from D 1.0. Instead of jumping straight to D 3.0, we could spend a
little time developing a 64-bit compiler for D. It would give us a
stable and unstable branch like we have already. And developers could
update their code for D 2.0 and 64-bit hardware at the same time.
Besides, I don't think we should start development on D 3.0 so soon. I
think it's better if a language doesn't evolve too quickly. It gives
time for developers to get settled in and write stable code for D,
without the need to update it every couple of years.