LDC on x86-64

Christian Kamm kamm-incasoftware at removethis.de
Sat Nov 1 08:12:25 PDT 2008

> Given that LDC is going to be released any day now, and should support
> 64-bit

I have to correct that. While we hope to release LDC for x86-32 Linux soon
after LLVM 2.4 is released, x86-64 (and, in fact, any other platform) still
needs work.

K. Wilson has contributed some big fixes for x86-64 Linux recently (he made
inline asm and exception handling work! yay for him!) and reports that
things basically work, but there's still lots of testing - and most likely
bugfixing - to be done before it's ready.

I've already said it about LDC x86-32 Windows, but it's the same here: we
could really use a few more dedicated x86-64 people!

> any estimates of how long it will take for LDC to support D2?

Neither Tomas nor me are particularly interested in chasing D2 right now.
Providing a cross-platform D1 compiler and fixing bugs there seems more
useful at the moment.