Escape Analysis on reddit

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Sat Nov 1 18:54:08 PDT 2008

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:geglbg$2f8s$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> [snip]
>> There is a paper that I don't have the time to look for, that does a
>> pointer analysis and associate with each function a little graph showing
>> how the return value depends on the inputs. (Does anyone know of it?) I
>> don't think we can afford to implement anything near that level of
>> sophistication.
>
> Lo and behold, I found the paper. I'm amazed because it's been many years
> since I read it and I never fully understood it :o).
>
> http://suif.stanford.edu/papers/wilson95/paper.html
>
> The pointer representation they use form little graphs that represent
> their aliasing relationship.
>

> Andrei

Another interesting blog on the subject of pointer analysis. This one talks
about using a relational query language over Binary Decison Diagrams to make
PA scalable and relatively easy to build into static analysis tools:

http://blog.robjsoftware.org/2007/10/bddbddb-pointer-alias-analysis-comes-of.html

which refers to:

http://suif.stanford.edu/papers/pldi04.pdf