change 'this' pointer for structs to reference type

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Nov 2 01:18:08 PDT 2008

Walter Bright:
> Andrei suggested this change, and I think it is a great idea. D ought to
> be moving away from pointers for routine work, and this would make a lot
> of sense.

I am not expert of C++ matters, but I think this is a change for the better.

> It would entail some changes to user code,

I think it doesn't matter, because D2 is already a different language.
I instead encourage you to keep D2 design fluid still, allowing similar positive changes in other parts of the language still, because probably there are other things that can be improved. I don't know if D2-D3 will become widespread languages, but every time you improve something like this one programmer of the future will say a silent pray to thank you for a well designed "detail" :-)

Bye,
bearophile