Escape analysis (full scope analysis proposal)

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Nov 3 08:21:08 PST 2008

Michel Fortin wrote:
> On 2008-11-03 00:39:34 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu
> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> said:
[snip]
> If you want more details, I can provide them as I've thought of the
> matter a lot in the last few days. I just don't have the time to write
> about everything about it right now.

It may be wise to read some more before writing some more. As far as I
understand it, your idea, if taken to completion, is very much like
region analysis as defined in Cyclone.

http://www.research.att.com/~trevor/papers/pldi2002.pdf

Here are some slides:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/djg/slides/cyclone_pldi02.ppt

My hope was that we can obtain an approximation of that idea by defining
only two regions - "inside this function" and "outside this function".
It looks like that's not much gain for a lot of pain.

So the question is - should we introduce region analysis to D, or not?

Andrei