null and type safety

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Nov 3 14:04:48 PST 2008

Brendan Miller:
>Null is a holdover from C and has no place in a typesafe language.<

In a (system) language I want to be able to create tree data structures that contain a cargo plus true pointers, and those pointers to structs can be null in leaves.
Having a safe language is good, but I want 1 language that gives me sharp tools too.

>I'm looking through the D docs, that are a little sparse, but I'm not seeing any references to pointers that can't be nulled.<

You may like the Delight language (it compiles to D2):
http://delight.sourceforge.net/null.html

Bye,
bearophile