C++, D: Dinosaurs?

Tony tonytech08 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 19:38:54 PST 2008

"Piotrek" <starpit at tlen.pl> wrote in message
news:geo2vt$s62$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Tony wrote:
>
>> [...] I would say that languages like C++ and D ARE the specialized
>> ("domain specific") languages rather then the "general purpose" ones.
>> Consider them as "where/when you need high level assembly language type
>> of tool". Everyone who invents "the better C++" ends up in the same
>> category as that overly complex, for a GP language, language.
>
> I also see a GP language strictly connected with processors way of
> "thinking" and operating  with memory but with ability of switching to
> higher level (on demand) to ovoid using tons of primitives. If well
> deigned it can utilize computer to *everything* you need - without
> pain-in-ass.
>
> Or one may say:
>
>> "General Purpose Language" may indeed be an oxymoron. (All kinds of jokes
>> noting 'GPL', omitted).
>
> IMHO D is a better stage of what we can call: general propose language.

Maybe. But more probably, "general purpose language" needs to be defined
directly because it is so subjective in context. (hehe, isn't that a
criticism of C++: non-contenxt free grammar?).

>>> (C++) These days it's a systems/performance language instead.
>>
>> And not a very influential one at that, which really bogs down
>> development.
>>

> Until D. Give me example of a language where you can develop faster/esier
> (besides IDE infrastructure).

I envision a language existing "in between" the characteristics of C++ and D
(kind of). The object models both need work in C++ and D, IMO and if I am
forced to use GC in D, then it's a no for me because I have my own memory
management architecture. I can "shoe horn" C++ to behave, at least, with the
object model and the memory is unconstrained, and I do consider the latter a
main important feature.

Tony