C++, D: Dinosaurs?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Tue Nov 4 02:16:46 PST 2008

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Tony" <tonytech08 at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:genht8$2fcg$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
>> news:gel5tu$1a1v$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> "Clay Smith" <clayasaurus at gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:gej5nr$13jd$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Funny you mention that, the analogies I normally think of for C++ are
>>> either a 120+ year-old on life support or, as you said, the living dead.
>>> It's long past it's time, but people just won't let it finally rest
>>> (probably because, aside from D, there's no modern language that's a
>>> suitable replacement for C++ in *all* of C++'s use-cases. C# and Java,
>>> for instance, are only partial replacements. They can handle many of
>>> C++'s uses, but not all.)
>> The "in *all* of C++'s use-cases" part is probably the way to create a
>> dinosaur (call it E, F or G or whatever). The concept of "general purpose
>> language" is getting a bit long-toothed?
>>
>> Tony
>
> I strongly disagree. The concept of domain-specific languages is
> ultra-trendy these days (probably promoted by the same knuckleheads that
> hailed things like pure-OO, pure-functional, and Extreme Programming as
> silver bullets). But I consider domain-specific languages to be purely a
> symptom of a strong need for a better general purpose language.

Yeah. Domain-specific languages used to be really popular. I can
remember when everyone invented their own language for saving
configuration settings, for example <g>. It's symptomatic of an absence
of a decent standard.

> I'd *much* rather use a true general-purpose language (which, again, C++ is
> no longer an example of) than muck around with 500 different languages for
> every stupid little thing.
>
> For example, have you ever tried doing web development?
 > Considering the
> conceptual simplicity of the web, that's just absolutely pathetic.

Amen. IMHO, it's one of the great failures of the software industry.
I find it incredible that we've ended up with a situation which is so
dreadful.