Is D ready for production?

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:30:30 PST 2008

David Ferenczi Wrote:

> My next project woud be a cross-paltform application (Linux and Windows)
> with intensive database and GUI usage.
>
> My preferred language would be D, but there are no QT bindings for D, and
> my preference for the whole GUI and database handling would be QT.
>
> What is your experience with GUI and database libraries in D? Could you use
> them effectively for production?
>
> Another issue with D, that there is no compiler, which complies with the D
> language standard. I work on a small freetime project in D, where the
> libraries are not an issue, since I need only Phobos, but I'm steadily
> struggling with compiler issues, and imperfect tooling. (I tend to use the
> killer features of D, but I often have to face with workarounds,
> segmentation faults, etc.)
>
> What do you recommend? Should I go for Java + QT? Or try to get over the
> issues of D? Could you effectively manage the above problems of D?
>
> Thanks,
> David

D1 is certainly a production-quality langauge. As Frank mentioned, there's DWT, an excellent cross-platform GUI toolkit (there are a few others if that's not to your liking, but it's a really great toolkit). DDBI is a different story - there's an old version that may or may not work well, and a new version which works great, but only with MySQL right now. But you can always directly call C libraries ;-P

I would say your best bet is to stick with D1+Tango. It may seem a bit buggy, but I've run into just as many bugs using Microsoft Visual C++.