[OT] Quiz of the Day [2008-11-04]

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Nov 5 19:29:51 PST 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Escalators have an emergency stop button at the ends. Press it.

When I was a child my dad took me to work for one of those "bring your
kids to work days."  He worked on Wall Street and commuted through the
World Trade Center via the PATH train to get to his office.  So we were
heading into work together at the peak of commute time, out of the train
and up the massive array of escalators, all packed shoulder to shoulder
with businesspeople.  He lost track of me for a moment and seconds later
the entire escalator bank shut down.  Shortly thereafter he found me
near a hidden emergency stop button, grabbed me, and hurried away.
Years later I looked for that button on my way through the WTC and found
it key-locked.  I guess once was enough :-)

Sean