Who Ordered Memory Fences on an x86?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Nov 5 21:18:38 PST 2008

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:get95v$1r39$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Another one of Bartosz' great blogs:
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7bmkt/who_ordered_memory_fences_on_an_x86/
>
> This will be required reading when we start implementing shared types.

Call me a grumpy old fart, but I'd be happy just tossing fences in
everywhere (when a multicore is detected) and be done with the whole mess,
just because trying to wring every little bit of speed from, say, a 3+ GHz
multicore processor strikes me as a highly unworthy pursuit. I'd rather
optimize for the lower end and let the fancy overpriced crap handle it
however it will.

And that's even before tossing in the consideration that (to my dismay) most
code these days is written in languages/platforms (ex, "Ajaxy" web-apps)
that throw any notion of performance straight into the trash anyway (what's
100 extra cycles here and there, when the browser/interpreter/OS/whatever
makes something as simple as navigation and text entry less responsive than
it was on a 1MHz 6502?).