How does D improve design practices over C++?

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 14:13:03 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Jarrett Billingsley
<jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Tony <tonytech08 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Compile times as I am not doing large scale development. And with so much
>> processor power available these days, I really don't see a problem with
>> compile times. Some care in laying out code and headers goes a long way.
>
> Boost.

I did also want to make another point about this.  Processors are not
getting that much faster; it's not 2001 anymore.  We've pretty much
hit the wall for single-core performance, and compilation is an
extremely difficult problem to parallelize.  Yes, you can compile
multiple files at once, but if a single compilation unit takes 20
minutes to compile, it doesn't matter how many cores you've got.  The
shortest compile time you can get is 20 minutes.  Even if your
compiles are "only" three minutes, if you spend three minutes
compiling, followed by ten minutes of testing, that means you're
spending almost a quarter of your time compiling.  That doesn't seem
like an efficient use of time.