How does D improve design practices over C++?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 20:32:45 PST 2008

> C++ is a huge language, and not many know the entire language.  Case in
> point, you didn't know what Delegates where yet many C++ programmers use
> them frequently.  Its better if the language makes it easy rather then
> requiring the programmer to do something to be correct.  Just like expecting
> an email program to have spell check your emails.  Modern languages should
> do the same.

C++ doesn't have "delegates".  It has member function pointers.  I
don't think that's changed.  boost::bind (now std::tr1::bind in some
places) gives you a way to bundle a member function pointer with an
object pointer in a delegate-like way, but I don't think anybody calls
those delegates.  At least they didn't used to.

I don't know who came up with the word "delegate" but I find it to be
a terrible match for what they actually are.
- "one appointed or elected to represent others"?
It's a kind of a stretch. [/rant]

--bb