Escape analysis (full scope analysis proposal)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 08:04:33 PST 2008

"Andrei Alexandrescu" wrote
> IMHO this may be made to work. I personally prefer the system in which ref
> is safe and pointers are permissive. The system you are referring to makes
> ref and pointer of the same power, so we could as well dispense with
> either. But I'd be curious what others think of it. Notice how the
> discussion participants got reduced to you and me, and from what I saw
> that's not a good sign.

FWIW, I still think the proposal you have put forth about references being
the safe type and pointers being permissive is the best one so far.  It's
clean, doesn't add excessive syntax, and makes good practical sense.

I think full scope analysis is an interesting problem to solve, but it may
just be an academic exercise, as it would be impractical to develop with.
Just MHO.

-Steve