C++ traps that D2 doesn't avoid yet?

Janderson ask at me.com
Sat Nov 8 22:45:44 PST 2008

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

 > To be honest though, I more disagree with your assertion that only
novice programmers are affected.  I sometimes make these types of
mistakes, and I definitely don't consider myself a novice ;)

 > -Steve

A good point.

We seem to have a lot of super programmers who don't make simple
mistakes ever and know C++ back to front.  That's Great!

For myself, after programming in C++ for 7 years (and other languages
before that) I still find myself making coding typo's and discovering
new things about C++.  Keeping an open mind is key to getting better.

I bet even Bjarne Stroustrup himself does not know all the pitfalls he
left in the language.

A couple of quotes to put names to:

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

"...it's essential to keep an open mind, and to be willing--better yet,
eager--to try new things."

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will
insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

-Joel