C++, D: Dinosaurs?

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 07:42:53 PST 2008

Hello Christopher,

> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> I understand how you feel. For a very long time, I felt the same way.
>> I wanted the control. I thought GC was for below average programmers
>> who couldn't handle memory allocation. I worked with a Java
>> implementation for a while when Java first came out (building a
>> native Java compiler) and came to realize the basis of my beliefs
>> were unfounded.
>>
> I feel obliged to mention Kris's presentation on garbage collection,
> "Array Slicing Fo' Shizzle" (
> http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/george-38229-Kris-Array-Slici
> ng-foShizzle-Background-Java-Enigma-GC-Pressure-slic-Education-ppt-pow
> erpoint/ ), mentions some issues with abusing a garbage collector.
> (Where are the videos for that? I thought they were released, but I
> don't see any links in the likely places.)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4010965350602541568&hl=en

The link is provided from this page:

http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/speakers.html

I haven't actually watched any of these yet since I'm still on dialup. :P
 But I see that they can be downloaded as a mp4 file, so maybe I'll have
a go at it.

-JJR