How much time will D1 be around?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Nov 11 03:41:36 PST 2008

"Ary Borenszweig" <ary at esperanto.org.ar> wrote in message
news:gfbpfb$fob$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Now that D2 is being developed, I don't know how much time it will take
> until it is finished. Once it is, what will happen to D1? Will anyone
> still use it?
>
> I ask this because from time to time I like to add new features to Descent
> to improve D1 support. Semantic analysis is pretty done for D1, except for
> some bugs that are hard to fix, or at least take a lot of time. :-P
>
> For D2, there's still missing a lot of semantic analysis porting from DMD,
> and doing that is kind of boring (adding new features, that's fun). But if
> I add features to D1 and it will be gone soon, what's the point? Also, I
> feel that the great majority of the people here don't see an IDE as a
> helpful programming tool.

I find IDE's to be extremely helpful programming tools. But then again, I
also find Eclipse to be more trouble than it's worth (for reasons that
people are probably tired of hearing me yammer on about ;) ).

> But, in another point of view, I see a lot of big differences between D1
> and D2. For instance, I don't like const/invariant, I don't care about
> that, I never had bugs or trouble or performance problems because of
> mutability problems, so I consider D1 easier to grasp. So I wonder if
> anyone else thinks "No matter what will happen, I'll probably just stick
> with D1".

I don't know about anyone else, but for me, I plan to switch to D2. I
suppose I might switch back to D1 if I end up *really* not liking all the
const/immutable/etc stuff after using D2, but I don't think that will
happen. That is an interesting question though, about overall satisfaction
level with some of D2's bigger changes.