How much time will D1 be around?

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 21:21:00 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> It's not like the DMDFE can get any _worse_.
>
> I try to avoid responding to you for the most part, but when you make

Wow, I wasn't aware you had this kind of disdain for me.  I'd be
interested to know why.  Yeah, I know, as you're reading this you're
palming your forehead and going "wow! how can he be so oblivious!"
But no, seriously.

> statements that are so obviously uncalled for and egregiously rude, I
> can't help it.
>
> This is over the top out of line, imho.

My comment was not really meant to provoke, but I suppose that it
could be taken that way, and for that I apologize.

The point I'd've liked to have made is that yes - Walter has
(obviously!) done a lot for D.  Without him, D would not exist.  But
the fact is - and I doubt you'll find many who will disagree with me -
it doesn't matter how awesome Walter is, or how much of a visionary he
is, or how good his managerial skills are; DMDFE is just buggy, no
offense meant to Walter as a person.  That there are 30 new bugs
posted to the bugzilla every month from a relatively small group of
users is testament that DMDFE is buggy.  And the current development
model of "have people put things in bugzilla where there is a very
good chance that they will never get fixed" and "be extremely
skeptical of any and all patches that people submit" does not work.
As I said - simple flow problem.  30 in, 15 out.  Eventually the tank
is going to overflow.