References to const

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 13 06:26:25 PST 2008

"Andrei Alexandrescu" wrote
>> Is there a way to have variable reference to constant data in D?  I
>> just don't see it at the moment and it would be _really_ useful.
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/phobos/std_typecons.html#Rebindable

Small question regarding Rebindable that I've been meaning to ask.

Does implicit assignment to a const(T) work, or does that require
opImplicitCast?  This would be useful not only for assignment, but also
passing to functions which take const(T) instead of Rebindable!(T).

Also, one other thing.  A Rebindable!(T) only makes sense if T is const or
invariant, but this is rather long winded:

Rebindable!(const(A)) a;

Would it make sense to have shortcuts to Rebindable that automatically apply
const or invariant?  something like:

template tconst(T)
{
   alias Rebindable!(const(T)) tconst;
}

Using whatever you think is best for a symbol name.  Just something a little
shorter.

-Steve