How much time will D1 be around?

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 13 12:58:26 PST 2008

"Lutger" <lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gfi1t4$k2t$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Peter Venkman wrote:
>
>> So, for me the question would be, when will D2 support come to existing
>> libraries -at least the most popular ones-?
>
> A lot of libraries depend on tango, so I wouldn't expect too much support
> before a D2 Tango is released.

If that's so, what have their creators neglected wrt
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?AllLibraries
- to list them there, or to indicate there that they rely on Tango?

Maybe it's time to revamp that page.  I'll post ideas for this in a separate
thread.

I think more important factors are:
- There are still many libraries that use Phobos, possibly even a few that
are RTL-independent, some of which may well be being developed to support D2
now.
- D2 isn't stable yet; in particular, 2.020 is problematic.  So any library
support for D2 risks being broken in a subsequent compiler release; this has
probably both broken pre-existing D2 support and put developers off trying.

But we ought to have a list of D2-compatible libraries, whether as part of a
revamp of AllLibraries or as a separate wiki page.

Stewart.

--
My e-mail address is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies
on the 'group where everybody may benefit.